FAQs about Commercial Breeding of Dogs
What standards of care must be followed?
USDA standards of care as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (9 CFR 3.1-3.12) must be met, including housing, exercise, feeding and care. Indiana law stipulates three additional exercise standards for Indiana kennels.
How will consumers know who is registered?
Every breeder or broker must post, in a place clearly visible to the public, certification that he/she is registered.
PuppyGram's Criteria for Eligible Breeders
- Well-maintained, safe condition
- Adequate utilities
- Sufficient drainage
- Waste Disposal
- Temperature range for needs of breed(s) present
- Proper ventilation
- Adequate lighting
- Shelter from elements
- Primary Enclosure (Cages, Pens, Kennels, Runs)
- Structurally sound
- In good repair
- Safe for dogs/puppies
- Properly sized
- Floor openings of appropriate size
- Solid floor meets requirements (size and structure)
- Adequate protection from predators
Animal Health and Husbandry
- Exercise space, access
- Socialization practices
- Food quality, availability
- Fresh water
- Body condition, including general and dental health
- Identification of individual animals
- Records and documentation
- Veterinary care, vaccination protocol